[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Logo - errors

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 04:59:57 UTC 2007

On 6/26/07, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, The Cunctator wrote:
> > On 6/25/07, Dmcdevit <dmcdevit at cox.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Well, is *anyone* happy about the Klingon letter at the top of the
> >> Wikipedia logo? We don't (thankfully) even have a project in that
> >> language anymore, and I think it falls short of the mark of
> >> multilingualism.
> >
> > I am. I think it's entertaining. I'm glad Wikipedia has a sense of humor
> > about its imperfection. I think institutions of our civilization would
> > benefit from more self-deprecation.
>
> I'm certainly not unhappy about it.  A completely novel character on one
> of the pieces would also be interesting.

I'm not unhappy about it either; it's a nice little joke for the few people
who will notice independently, and hey, we did say *all* languages...

I'm more unhappy about the two completely blank pieces on the bottom, which
I hadn't even really noticed before the current discussion! Sigh. Just
something else to solve when/if a 3-D version is developed, I suppose. Have
there been any projects to brainstorm about what all the other characters on
the other side of the globe might be?

Incidentally: There is a version of the logo on meta w/ English text that
has the accent error described removed:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/meta/9/91/Nohat-logo-XI-big-text.png
Is there some reason we're not using that on the actual site, instead of the
old one? I guess as Alison points out the accented one is the trademarked
one, though if both versions are getting used on community sites they should
both be trademarked... not sure how trademarking of versions of logos works,
we'd need a competent US trademarks lawyer to opine.

phoebe