[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Logo - errors

Jon Harald Søby jhsoby at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 22:20:30 UTC 2007

I think it is great that we have  Klingon character there. Statistically
speaking, no-one* will know what kind of character it actually is, and it
will be an interesting easteregg when people discover it. Something that
makes people smile. I can't see any bad implications whatsoever coming from
it; how can it posibly hurt us?

* How many percent of the world's population have ever heard of Klingon? And
of those who have heard of it, how many have ever seen anything written in
Klingon with the Klingon alphabet? And of these, how many would recognize
the one Klingon character in the logo without knowing what it is beforehand?

On 6/25/07, Dmcdevit <dmcdevit at cox.net> wrote:

> quiddity wrote:
> > On 6/25/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Not that the whole hubbub isn't a bit silly; the logo is meant to
> >> represent multilingualism as a concept, not any particular language.
> >>

> > I'm conflicted. I feel guilty [always] for re-raising the issue and
> > distracting anyone from encyclopedic endeavours. However...

Well, is *anyone* happy about the Klingon letter at the top of the
> Wikipedia logo? We don't (thankfully) even have a project in that
> language anymore, and I think it falls short of the mark of
> multilingualism.
>
> Dominic

Jon Harald Søby
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by