[Foundation-l] Announcing a great project within the German language Wikipedia

Mathias Schindler mathias.schindler at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 21:41:49 UTC 2007

With great pleasure, I would like to tell you about an announcement
that was made just hours ago at the German language Wikipedia mailing
list about a three-year-project: The German Federal Ministry of Food,
Agriculture and Customer Protection [1] is going to fund the
improvement of articles in the de-wikipedia that deal with the topic
of renewable resources.

You will find the announcemend, made by Florian Gerlach of the Nova
institute at http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikide-l/2007-June/019503.html.

The first step of this project will be an assessment of the current
articles in that topic.

The project site can be found at
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProjekt_Nachwachsende_Rohstoffe

The content will strictly adhere the Wikipedia's policies about NPOV,
the GFDL license, the  encyclopedic tone and so on, the articles will
remain open for the public to edit.

To my knowledge, this is a worldwide premiere and it is my hope that
we will use the experience gained from this project to find new
opportunities for supporting Wikipedia and the creation of freely
licensed content in general.

I would like to ask you to have a close look at this project, to
spread the word and to see if anything from this can be applied to
other editions of Wikipedia as well.

Mathias

[1]: http://www.bmelv.de/cln_045/nn_754188/EN/00Home/homepage__node.html__nnn=true