[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Logo - errors

quiddity blanketfort at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 19:28:10 UTC 2007

On 6/25/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Not that the whole hubbub isn't a bit silly; the logo is meant to
> represent multilingualism as a concept, not any particular language.

I'm conflicted. I feel guilty [always] for re-raising the issue and
distracting anyone from encyclopedic endeavours. However...

Aphaia's June 14 comments,
>> "I know Japanese community is not happy with those two letters, and
some takes it a sign WMF has no interest toward Japanese projects and
its culture"
and
>> "...though I admit it is hardly to be considered a thoughtful
design, rather a typical misrepresenting other cultures of Westerners"
seem like a polite understatement. I think that it's Anglo/Eurocentric
to think otherwise.
(Although, the misplaced accents over the Ω and и (omega and cyrillic
I) perhaps lend credence to the "by having these 'faults' we are
ensuring it is a registrable trademark" theory.)

Again, sorry for distracting. I was just trying to be helpful.
Quiddity