[Foundation-l] #wikipedia

Rory Stolzenberg rory096 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 20:00:18 UTC 2007

On 6/20/07, Michael Bimmler <mbimmler at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/20/07, Dejan Čabrilo <dcabrilo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ok, gathered from what several of you said, is it fair that I draw the
> > following conclusions:
> >
> > 1) Seanw is a group contact of Wikimedia, appointed by Wikimedia, on
> > FreeNode.
> >
> define "appointed by Wikimedia", please. If you are referring to the
> foundation, this is wrong.

It is? My understanding of the system was that while the WMF never really
claimed to own the IRC channels, because they're at # and not ##, the
foundation actually does, and so it appointed the group contacts. [[m:IRC
Group Contacts]] says "The IRC Group Contacts are the liaisons between
Wikimedia and the staff of the freenode IRC
network<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:freenode>
."

Rory