[Foundation-l] #wikipedia changes

Gurch matthew.britton at btinternet.com
Sat Jun 16 19:43:33 UTC 2007

Needed? Yeah... like hell they are.

By "pretty quickly" they literally meant in the space of a few minutes,
with precisely zero consultation with anyone who actually uses the
channel. Yes, there was a page of guidelines on Meta, but those
guidelines have magically morphed into an unbreakable policy that
doesn't actually match what's written on that page at all.

Sean has casually neglected to mention that "off-topic" discussion is no
longer permitted in the channel. And by that I literally mean that
entering the channel and sending one-line greetings to a couple of users
will get you told, in-channel and via a bombardment of PMs, to stop
talking off-topic.

Off-topic chat prohibited I could perhaps understand. But it doesn't
stop there. Discussion of the individual projects is no longer permitted
either; all discussion of the English Wikipedia has to go to
#wikipedia-en. You can't even discuss the channel itself - no, that has
to go to #wikimedia-irc. So that everyone's complaints can be
conveniently ignored.

Mark seemed to want to turn it into a help channel for new users.
Ignoring the fact that we already have (or had) two of those, what good
is a help channel with nobody in it? In the past, users seeking help
have usually recieved a reply - or several - within seconds. I have
responded to hundreds of such queries - but it's not the reason I used
the channel.

I never did get round to asking what I *could* discuss; I gave up when I
realized the instructions barked at me in-channel and through PMs were
in complete contradiction with everything Mark said when I spoke to him
earlier, which in turn contradicted what Sean said when I spoke to him
earlier, which in turn contradicted what I was told in-channel earlier.

A new set of guidlines is fine, but this situation is not. Guidelines
should be just that - for guidance purposes - and more importantly,
there should not be any pretence that contributors' wishes are being
accommodated when they are not.

The English Wikipedia project mailing list long ago became unbearable as
a method of communication and discussion. If the new-found rulers of the
IRC channels want to kill them off as well, in the name of keeping all
conversation on the wiki where it can be watched, then that's fine. But
don't try to claim that it is an improvement.

-Gurch