[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Logo - errors

Jerome Banal jerome.banal at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 16:54:23 UTC 2007

Come on Mark, do you really want to teach Japanese people how they should
read their syllabary? :-)

You are ja-3 and I am ja-1, so I don't think I have anything to teach you;
probably you disregarded a few facts. The top left strike of this sign
starts right at the horizontal strike level and is straight. If it's
supposed to be a "ku", I have never seen such a poor font as it makes it
completely indistinguishable from a classical wa in italic type.

To be a "ku", it should have the top left strike curved and start above the
corner of the horizontal one. Each font decides its balance between those:
in general, the higher it starts, the less curved it is. Some very thick
fonts make it start at the horizontal line level, but they make it very
curved. Without this, it would be too difficult to distinguish a ku from a
wa...
See reference 3 (sorry, it's the first website using lots of different fonts
and styles that has popped into my mind :-) )  for some examples using
italics or not, bold or not, or play with notepad and some unicode fonts.

If I am wrong, I would gladly welcome any serious example (ie. not
handwritten or made as a play on word) that breaks this rule to improve my
personal knowledge of the Japanese language.

Actually, I am pretty sure the author wanted to put a 'u', so as to make
"Wi"(kipedia, like we have 'W' in latin script). And "u" is just a strike
added on top of "wa". Actually, I only had a quick look to the logo in the
past and did not notice the typo; I had, it seems, automatically corrected
it and have always thought about it as "wi".

Anyway, being a bad ku or an italic wa with a normal small i, it is just
crap.
But no matter the respect I have for Japanese people, I have to agree with
Alison that it might be a little expensive to correct a typo if we consider
the fact that the Foundation try to not protect every name of Wikipedia
everywhere because of cost... Personally, I don't pay much attention to this
logo so maybe I don't realize really well if it is worth it for Japanese or
not. I don't know the real cost either.

Dewa mata ne,
Jerome (Eden2004)