[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Logo - errors

Alison Wheeler wikimedia at alisonwheeler.com
Fri Jun 15 11:16:51 UTC 2007

On Fri, June 15, 2007 00:03, Peter Halasz wrote:
> But perhaps
> you're correct that English speakers are happy to have poorly formed
> Devanagari and a Japanese typo on the logo.

Not especially 'happy', no, however the existing logo (for all its
possible faults*) is the one which is a registered trademark and the cost
/ time of trying to change that world-wide would probably be excessive
when there are better things (ymmv) to spend the cash on.

Alison Wheeler

* There used to be a saying "It's not a fault, it's a feature" and maybe
that applies in this case too. The glyphs-which-aren't demonstrate that
there is 'design' involved rather than the logo just being a collection of
standard typography. As such one might argue that by having these 'faults'
we are ensuring it is a registrable trademark.