[Foundation-l] only six new accounts per day per ip?

Ragib Hasan ragibhasan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 05:28:14 UTC 2007

On 6/9/07, Walter Vermeir <walter at wikipedia.be> wrote:
> Ragib Hasan schreef:
> > Here is the background:
> >
> > To publicize wikipedia, the Wiki philosophy etc. in Bangladesh, and to
> > create new users and help them in editing in Bengali and English
> > wikipedias, we have been conducting Workshop sessions as part of Open
> > Source Workshops.
> >
> > Since many users are not familiar with editing, the workshop involves
> > showing them how to create an account, how to set up the unicode
> > Bengali rendering and typing tools, basic wiki markup etc. However, it
> > came to our notice that from a single IP address, no more than 6 new
> > accounts could be created.
> >
> > Is there any setting that allows modification of this limit? I looked
> > up MediaWiki system messages, but didn't find the setting. We need
> > more people for Bengali wikipedia, but it is frustrating if our wiki
> > evangelism workshops fail to guide them properly.
> >
> > Thanks in advance ...
> >

> > Ragib
> >
> > bn:User:Ragib
> > en:User:Ragib
>
> I think you can make as many accounts as you want from one ipadress if
> you are a sysop. So you make an account for an other user.
>
> --
> Contact: walter AT wikizine DOT org
> Wikizine.org - news for and about the Wikimedia community
> English - Deutsch - Español - Indonesia

Could you clarify which special page are you referring to? The special
admin-only pages in Media-wiki are:

Restricted special pages

    * Grant or revoke bot status
    * Import pages
    * Make a user into a sysop
    * Unwatched pages
    * View deleted pages
    * Blockuser/Blockip
    * Rename user

So, how do I create account for another user?

Also, I'd prefer another solution, as the workshops are for total
newbies ... so we have to tell them, "here's how you sign up, and log
in" ... so the newbies should be able to sign up on their own.

We were conducting the workshop in a local university lab LAN, which
had a single public ip, so only 6 attendees got to create accounts.

--

Ragib

--
Ragib Hasan