[Foundation-l] WMF-projects: Carbon neutral/low/aware website?

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 12:28:42 UTC 2007

On 6/9/07, Peter Halasz <email at pengo.org> wrote:
> To reply to a few random bits, while trying to avoid another rant on
> why we should try to reach zero-emissions:
>
> 1.
>
> Nuclear power is not a renewable energy source.

Neither is anything else unless you are going to rewrite the laws of
thermodynamics. Nuclear reactors using fast breeder technology will
last long enough.

> 3.
>
> I know it was said in jest, but to correct a misconception, and have a
> bit of an off topic rant: paper production actually releases a
> surprising amount of carbon. Especially when the woodchip for the
> pulpmill was from an old growth forest that will take hundreds of
> years to regain its previous level of carbon storage in the trees and
> soil. A large part of the carbon of a forest is found in the soil, and
> this is often burnt after the wood is harvested, releasing massive
> amounts of carbon (at least from what I understand of the situation
> around here in Australia. Probably different elsewhere). A large
> percentage of the wood does not end up in paper or wood products
> either (I've heard numbers upwards of 90%, but I don't know where they
> were pulled from). I understand there are some papers coming out about
> this soon. A huge amount of carbon dioxide emissions can be saved
> simply by not cutting down trees and unfortunately the value of not
> logging forests was left out of the Kyoto protocol. (plantations are a
> different matter). </rant>

I live in the UK. Between about the end of ww2 and the 1960s we
planted rather a lot of pine forests. Now harvesting the stupid
things. Got to do something with them.

--
geni