[Foundation-l] WMF-projects: Carbon neutral/low/aware website?

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Sat Jun 9 03:30:08 UTC 2007

Kat Walsh wrote:
> We are currently motivated to conserve energy simply because it costs
> less if we are efficient, and certainly I think we should take care
> not to be wasteful!

There are a couple of important differences between electricity pricing
and ecological cost:

1. electricity at knams and yaseo is donated
2. electricity at pmtpa is charged by peak power usage rather than by
energy usage

Thus we waste energy in two ways:
1. we keep more servers switched on at knams and yaseo than we need
2. we make no effort to conserve power during off-peak times, beyond what
the servers do by default

-- Tim Starling