[Foundation-l] WMF-projects: Carbon neutral/low/aware website?

Peter Halasz email at pengo.org
Fri Jun 8 14:13:34 UTC 2007

Global warming not necessarily "more important" on an abstract level,
but the fact is we are contributing to it by purchasing and using
non-renewable energy -- so lessening that contribution through
investment in renewable energy helps offset what the WMF is directly
responsible for -- at least until a time comes when governments compel
energy providers to be responsible for their own emissions.

The main problem seems to be money, but we haven't even estimated a
ballpark figure for how much it would cost. Can we conduct even an
informal guestimate-ish audit, if not a proper one?

If using contributor funds is a problem, let's look at requesting that
money from the community separately. Dismissing carbon credits or
offsets as a "fad" and of "dubious effect" are poor excuses. There is
enough brainpower here to find carbon offset investments which are
genuine.

Peter Halasz