[Foundation-l] WMF-projects: Carbon neutral/low/aware website?

Robert Leverington lcarsdata at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 8 12:16:12 UTC 2007

On 08/06/07, Walter Vermeir <walter at wikipedia.be> wrote:
> Alison Wheeler <wikimedia at ...> writes:
>
> > I don't want to get into discussion about Carbon-Neutral and the rest, but
> > have to say I would worry if we started putting the logo on the WMF
> > projects, and for one simple reason.
> >
> > Who is to say why *this* logo should be added? Why shouldn't the logos for
> > Breast Cancer awareness, Aids awareness, etc be added too? Or let's get
> > really serious and add the Taiwan flag proclaiming it is entirely
> > independent of China? or a Basque flag?
> [cut]
>
> Putting a logo or some sort expression on a WMF website is independent from the
> issue. This is not about putting logo's on websites but to be aware of the
> environment impact of the WMF-projects. And to try include those aspects as a
> factor when making decisions like buying hardware to consider the energy
> consumption as a factor.
>
> If the WMF would become carbon neutral then that could be included in the
> relevant Wikipedia articles and on some page on the Foundation website. I
> personally would not mind to show that by putting a logo on the website but
> there is no need to do that.
>
> Greetings,
> Walter

I seriously doubt that the Wikimedia Foundation has enough money or
resources to go carbon neutral. We were saying that the foundation
doesn't even have enough money to last more than 4 months a few months
ago (although I am sure they do) and going carbon neutral could
massively increase expenses.

--
Robert[hl] [[User:Lcarsdata]]
http://roberthl.wikitest.co.uk/