[Foundation-l] Following the conventions: seperating Wikisource

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 03:56:33 UTC 2007

Hoi,
My position is:

   - Any language has to be the language it claims to be
   - I am actively involved in getting MultiLingual MediaWiki developed
   - I never stated that Wikisource or Commons should not have
   multilingual content for all the right reasons

NB All languages deserve support. I am fully in favour of Wikisource
supporting extinct languages and languages that have little presence on the
web. The presence within Wikisource however has to support these languages,
something that will be improved on when the content is accurately tagged.

The consequence is that we DO have an interest making sure that languages
are indeed languages they proclaim to be and we ARE happy and willing to
make sure that there are codes to indicate those linguistic entities that do
not have a code yet.

The consequence is that once MLMW has been realised, we expect it to be used
particularly by http://Wikisource.org.

The consequence is that there are good reasons why the language committee
has an interest in the languages supported in any Wikimedia Foundation
projects. This is what this committee is there for.

Thanks,
   GerardM