[Foundation-l] Following the conventions: seperating Wikisource

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 19:38:31 UTC 2007

Hoi,
I am well aware of where Google stands on supporting languages. I have
discussed this for two years now with one of their language engeneers. You
underestimate the importance that the proper language codes should have. You
are not aware on the importance that is given to project of the Wikimedia
Foundation. It  is exactly because we aim to do justice and promote language
diversity that we invest in Multilingual MediaWiki. And it is with a lot of
frustration that for all kinds of reasons, good and bad, it is still not
finished.

If Google and Internet is only about being able to find things on the
Internet, than only languages with a more or less fixed orthography will be
found. Most content of other languages can only be found like a needle in
the proverbial haystack. This problem is made worse because of people that
mean well but have no clue about the complexity of the problem.

Indicating what language a text is in, is vitaly important. It is
particularly important for those language that do not have much of a foot
print on the Internet.

Thanks,
    GerardM