[Foundation-l] CC

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Jun 4 09:16:22 UTC 2007

Klaus Graf wrote:

> In Germany it is not possible to waive all copyright personality
> rights (Urheberpersönlichkeitsrecht).

This is an interesting statement that non-lawyers keep repeating.
(Another one is that "a public domain doesn't exist" in Europe.)
How does that work if an employee is writing a manual for Audi or
Siemens?  Can the company not edit that manual for fear of harming
the personal rights of the original author?  Does the original
author get the right to be mentioned as the author of the manual?

If that's not the case, then it is indeed possible to waive the
personal rights, simply by entering into employment.  All we need
to do then, is for Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. to employ all German
editors at a zero salary.  This might be impractical for many
reasons, but I don't think that anything is impossible.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)