[Foundation-l] Decision on Creative Commons 3.0

Peter Halasz email at pengo.org
Sat Jun 2 23:32:33 UTC 2007

Mike Linksvayer (Creative Commons staff) and Jimbo Wales have left
comments in favour of accepting Creative Commons 3.0 into our own
commons, but ultimately the decision seems to be up to the Wikimedia
Foundation Board of Trustees, as no one else is willing (or able) to
make a final decision. The issues have been discussed ad nauseam, and
it's decision time. Please make one soon.

Peter Halasz [[user:Pengo]]

Discussion below copied from:
 http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Licensing#Creative_Commons_3.0_Licenses_.28again.29

I invited Creative Commons staff member Mike Linksvayer to weigh in on
the discussion of CC-3.0, and he's left comments. The conversation has
again gone stale since then: [[Commons talk:Licensing/Creative Commons
3.0]]. When are we going to move towards allowing CC-3.0 licenses, and
who makes the decision? Are we just going to ignore it while there are
lingering doubts? For people who want to allow Wikipedia to use their
material, it's enough trouble to explain that they have to use BY or
BY-SA licenses, and not the others listed on creativecommons.org. But
it's just going too far having to say "you need to hunt down an
outdated creative commons license... one which isn't even listed at
creativecommons.org". The 3.0 licenses create no new conditions which
don't already exist in law. Let's take them on already. [those are my
thoughts, not CC's] Pengo 05:39, 31 May 2007 (UTC)

    I think the real important question is "who makes the decision?"
But yes, it seems to me that the don't accept them camp can always win
by stalling. Meanwhile, more and more free content appears on the web
under CC-3.0 that we can't use. --Selket 06:17, 31 May 2007 (UTC)