[Foundation-l] Future fate of Siberian Wikipedia

Johannes Rohr jorohr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 21:55:49 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

while I understand that nobody is keen to get dragged into the
controversy over the "Siberian" Wikipedia[1] I still feel that some
sort of a solution should be envisaged, even if currently there is no
such body as a meta arbitration committee, that would have the formal
authority to handle this case.

The Siberian Wikipedia is composed in a non-notable constructed
language, which has absolutely no recognition by any relevant
authority. It is loosely based on historical contemporary Russian
dialects of Northern Russia and Siberia. Much of its content is
non-encyclopaedic, some has been considered highly offensive by many
Russians.

Notable cases, where action has been taken with regard to
non-encyclopaedic Wikipedias in conlangs or Wikipedias in non-notable
conlangs include the Klingon (thl) and Toki Pona (tokipona)
editions. Both have been eventually relocated to wikia, where their
authors have every freedom and opportunity to continue their projects
as they see fit.

Unless there are double-standards, the same solution should be applied
to the ru-sib Wikipedia.

Looking forward to your comments and opinions (if you have any),

Johannes

Footnotes:
[1]  http://meta.wikimedia.org/Proposals_for_closing_projects/Closure_of_Siberian_Wikipedia

--