[Foundation-l] #wikipedia IRC channel guidelines review

Mark Ryan ultrablue at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 09:34:46 UTC 2007

On 31/07/07, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please answer my previous question: you are really in the position of
> ruling all wikipedia-xx channels?

I thought I did answer that question, here:

On 31/07/07, Mark Ryan <ultrablue at gmail.com> wrote:
> People keep talking about this "jurisdiction" thing. As I hope I've
> made clear, I certainly don't subscribe to any such concept in
> relation to #wikipedia, let alone other IRC channels.

In case that wasn't clear enough, I apologise. Let me put it this way:
I'm not in a position to "rule" any channels, especially ones like
#wikipedia-de which I so rarely visit. You might be confusing me with
JamesF and Seanw who are the Wikimedia contacts for Freenode, who do
broader stuff like you describe.

On 31/07/07, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
> I mean, wikipedia-de, wikipedia-fr
> or wikipedia-ja ...... in my observation most of those channels have
> sane community, even not all, and I am afraid your claim for your
> right of jurisdiction for wikipedia-* (it is a very strong assertion)
> is too megalomaniac.

All we're talking about here is the single IRC channel #wikipedia,
nothing else. I simply invited (in my own kinda-human capacity) all
users of the #wikipedia-de etc. channels to talk about #wikipedia
because, in my view, it is a channel for all Wikipedias and all
languages, despite what some people would have. It's a big leap from
there to accusing me of megalomania and a bloodthirsty desire to
enslave the people of the French Wikipedia channel with new
guidelines.

~Mark Ryan