[Foundation-l] checkuser

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 16:15:58 UTC 2007

On 7/30/07, Casey Brown <cbrown1023 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I agree that the Ombudsman committee are supposed to hear all privacy policy
> violations, and that this includes things other than CheckUser.  The only
> thing is, most of these disputes arise from a CheckUser, which is the most
> public item on our list of possible privacy policy violations.

Privacy policy violations are fairly difficult to cause without being
checkuser, someone with server access, or a few other things.

While oversight has privacy implications it's a corner case. Has
anyone actually suspected that the use of oversight has *created* a
privacy policy issue?   The primary risks of the use of oversight are
not privacy related.

Keep in mind that the privacy policy only covers the foundation's
stewardship of non-public data.

If you leak your IP by accidently editing while logged out and some
unkind regular user maliciously spreads the information around, it
would be a bad thing and, no doubt, a blockable offense on the jerk's
part, as per the standards of our communities.... but it would not be
a violation of the foundation privacy policy.