[Foundation-l] Logotype font, t-shirts, Wikimedia Sweden

Kyungjun Lee kjoonlee at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 20:12:53 UTC 2007

On 7/20/07, Alison Wheeler <wikimedia at alisonwheeler.com> wrote:
> On Thu, July 19, 2007 20:03, Brion Vibber wrote:
> > The standard font used for the Wikipedia logo is 'Hoefler Text'. IIRC it
> > comes with most Macs; not sure offhand where to get it on other systems.
>
> I just tracked down where to purchase it
> (https://www.typography.com/storefront/) but found a distinct 'issue'
> which is somewhat insurmountable. The price.
>
> > Hoefler Text & Hoefler Titling
> > 1 CPU License
> > US$ 398.00
>
> and that is listed as a "Special Offer: Save $100 on Hoefler Text and
> Titling"  ffs!
>
> If we end up 'correcting' the glyphs in the globe could we please use a
> free-as-in-beer font for the colophon and text too? There are open source
> fonts and to use this particular font is restrictive and way too expensive
> to be reasonable for projects such as ours.
>
> Alison

http://www.typography.com/support/eula.html

Hoefler Text, as sold at its site, also forbids the distribution of SVG logos.

"You may not create Embedded Documents, except as expressly provided
in paragraphs 3.2 and 3.3:" "3.2. Workflow PDFs" "3.3 Flash Files."

I personally propose the adoption of Junicode font family for all
Latin-based logos.

http://junicode.sourceforge.net/

--Kjoonlee