[Foundation-l] Alternative approach for better video support

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 20:07:40 UTC 2007

Hoi,
Consider many people who all have copies of Commons files in a P2P cache.
Making them available to whoever wants them. This connected to a few
backbone servers who have ALL Commons files. Consider that there is some
mechanism that ensures that there are at least a given minimum number of
copies of every file in the "wild" and that this process is optimised to
have the images near to where they are requested most often.. When a picture
is added to the P2P it goes to the central repository and it is checked and
validated like we do at the moment for copyright etc ...

This kind of setup is similar to what the University of Amsterdam wants to
do for Wikipedia content.. Maybe they could consider something along these
lines to get their feet wet..

Thanks,
     GerardM