[Foundation-l] Alternative approach for better video support

Michael Snow wikipedia at att.net
Tue Jul 24 05:56:20 UTC 2007

Anthony wrote:
> There are differing interpretations of what a transparent format is
> (most of which are pretty obviously incorrect), but distributing more
> than 100 copies on paper without providing any digital copy at all
> pretty clearly violates the requirement to have a machine readable
> copy.
Leaving aside for a moment the current state of GFDL legalism vis-a-vis
technology, I don't see any fundamental reason why a paper copy couldn't
qualify as machine-readable. There are some pretty substantial endeavors
focusing on just that sort of thing.

If you meant that it fails to meet the GFDL's definition of
"transparent" you might have a stronger point. But that's a
legalism-and-technology issue.

Despite the charges some pundits like to raise, there is no
philosophical reason for us to be enemies of the printed word. Let's not
allow our technological inadequacies to lead us into dismissing the
medium that has, over the course of history, spread more free knowledge
to more people than the Wikimedia Foundation has ever managed.

--Michael Snow