[Foundation-l] Alternative approach for better video support

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 19:59:53 UTC 2007

Hoi,
It is not that obvious at all. When software needed to make use of data is
available without any kind of discrimination, it should suffice. At some
stage I created an 80 Mb database in Microsoft Access. Would you deny that I
could make this data available under the GFDL ?? I gave it to people, who
also had Access, and they were happy to have it. Now when you can convince
me that I did not have the right to make it available to them under the
GFDL, I will inform them about this and you can explain to them why they are
not entitled to use my data and/or you can explain to me why they can do
whatever they like with my data because they are not validly restricted by a
license.

My intention in this was clear, I wanted these people to have it and I
wanted to make sure that it stayed available under the conditions as I
understood them. This meant do what you like, but you cannot sell it to
someone else.  If GFDL data can only be used with Free Software, if it is
not permitted to change the format of the data and extend it when this makes
sense for a particular application, it would mean to me that the argument
that the Wikimedia Foundation happened at the wrong time because a liberal
license was not available has gained weight.

Thanks,
     GerardM