[Foundation-l] Alternative approach for better video support

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Jul 23 13:48:24 UTC 2007

On 7/23/07, Daniel Arnold <arnomane at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Monday 23 July 2007 14:19:21 Anthony wrote:
> > Does anyone know where I can download a tarball of all commons images?
>
> There is none as already pointed out in my initial mail of this thread. See
> this mail for reasons why there is no file tarball available yet.

Well, you suggest that cost of bandwidth is the reason, but that
contradicts what the developers have been consistently saying - that
there is no bandwidth problem.

> The only file "tarball" (in fact zenoreader format) you can get are very few
> selected images of the de.wikipedia (just: 2.9 GB, a tiny fraction compared
> to the full media repository), see http://dvd.wikimedia.org/
>
> This tarball download problem was exactly one reason for writing my
> alternative proposal here and is clearly adressed there...

Yes, you present one solution to a problem which the foundation says
it doesn't have.  There are lots of other solutions too, once we get
past the step of identifying exactly why there is no tarball for all
commons images.  Who would be a good central point of contact at the
WMF for answering this?

Anthony