[Foundation-l] We should permit Flash video playback

SJ Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 14:45:43 UTC 2007

It is of absolute importance for major projects to push for free formats,
and to avoid hosting encumbered formats -- even while supporting
compatibility to improve access and usability.  This is one of the
more effective ways to change the format universe.

We can do more than be firm about a commitment to open formats, we can
make some noise about it.  The Xiph Foundation is still around, though
its members are rather busy; some sort of regular announcement -- for
instance, as part of the announcements of where the free format
communities and projects are heading in the next year -- would be welcome
by everyone.

A good place to start, regardless of larger partnership, would be helping
the Archive identify and implement a fast transcoder.  They would do that
in a heartbeat.

SJ, looking at some ogg-encoded language learning materials