[Foundation-l] [Commons-l] We should permit Flash video playback

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sat Jul 21 05:54:28 UTC 2007

On 7/21/07, Kat Walsh <kat at mindspillage.org> wrote:
> I want to work with people, too. But I don't think that requires
> compromises such as allowing patent-encumbered video onto the site,
> and any partnership that requires such things is no benefit to us.

The Internet Archive does not impose any such requirement. I simply
proposed the two together because, IMHO, it makes strategic sense to
try to improve both usability and hosting in one fell swoop. But we
could work with any player solution if we decide to host content on
their site.

I repeat my point with regard to Flash that I really do believe we
need more carefully collected data about whether users successfully
can play back video without significant problems. That's independent
of whether we want to allow playing back selected IA collections using
an embedded Theora player, for example -- this would only require that
the Archive transcodes those collections, and everything else would be
done on our end.
--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik