[Foundation-l] Future Board election procedures and guidelines

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 03:12:39 UTC 2007

On 7/21/07, Sue Reed <sreed1234 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

I am not saying specifically that I would be against such a requirement.
Such a requirement, if it were made to *each* would not constitute buying
in to becoming a board member. It would be bad if it were an "auction" and
that person was appointed as trustee who promised the *largest* donation.
Even if a direct donation by the prospective board member themself, to me
it would be more in the nature of the price of a country club membership
than buying shares in a profit making company. To re-emphasize, I think
it would be sad if there was a "market value" for a seat on the board which
could go up and down according to how well Wikimedia was doing or other
considerations which would affect how much people would desire to be
on the board of Trustees.

I am not saying either that I quite see whether such a requirement would
ensure the best functioning of the board, but that is properly a separate
issue.