[Foundation-l] We should permit Flash video playback

Mark Bergsma mark at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 20 19:41:07 UTC 2007

Erik Moeller wrote:
> On 7/20/07, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> Wikimedia has more outgoing bandwidth
>> and a much higher request rate than IA, and we're well positioned to scale
>> that up.
>
> I'm trying to get hard numbers on this. Is the 3 GBit/s I got from
> Leon's stats an accurate peak for our combined clusters? Is there any
> particular data, beyond traffic data & server specs, I should poke
> Brewster for?

3.5 Gbit/s is our actual peak traffic at this time.

However, does it matter? We could easily handle much more, for a
relatively little amount of money.

Also note the difference between our actual peak and the "can handle up
to about 10 Gbit/s" in your mail.

--
Mark Bergsma <mark at wikimedia.org>
System & Network Administrator, Wikimedia Foundation