[Foundation-l] (correction) Re: Notice of the results of the WMF Board of Trustees election

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 08:39:12 UTC 2007

Hoi,
When you consider positive discrimination, this is in essence what you are
talking about, you will find that there are more categories that would
benefit from more attention. There are the projects other than Wikipedia,
there is the cultural diversity, in Yann and Oscar we would have had someone
who does speak an Asian language (Hindi/Gujarati and Turkish respectively).
We are fortunate that we have native speakers of four languages on our
board.

When people state that ex-employees do not have to be prevented to become
board member because the electors will see them for what they are (doubtful
in my opinion) it is equally true that when a need is felt for people to
represent a POV with regard to projects that they will present themselves.
In this election there was for instance a platform for phasing out projects
other than Wikipedia.

The best chances for election have those people that represent a generally
accepted view. It does help when you have local support and it does help
when you are already on the board. With positive discrimination you will
have the problem how to make such a position available, it would mean that
our election process has to be altered.. and I am not convinced that it
would work that well given that the board is particularly busy with the
governance of our organisation and not our projects.

Thanks,
    GerardM