[Foundation-l] Future Board election procedures and guidelines

Michael Snow wikipedia at att.net
Tue Jul 17 06:53:12 UTC 2007

George Herbert wrote:
> I agree that there are some organizations and some circumstances under
> which there are valid organizational conflict of interest issues which
> make it a good idea to keep ex-employees off the board for some period
> of time.
>
> I don't believe that a good case has been made that the Wikimedia
> Foundation is one of those organizations.  I oppose imposing such a
> ban at this time.
>
> I am willing to be convinced otherwise, and this is a good discussion
> to have.  I would like to know if there is anyone who wasn't opposed
> to Brad's run this time who feel that the rule is necessary.
I would like to know how many other people were confused about whether
it was Brad running or Danny. (Just teasing, I'm sure this was a simple,
honest slip-up on George's part.)

Recklessly extrapolating generalizations from this single instance, I
would say it means one of two things. One possibility is that most
voters wouldn't know the difference between Brad and Danny. Which is to
say, despite their work these former employees really aren't that
well-known, so the concerns about Wikimedia staff cashing in on their
name recognition to win board elections are obviously overstated. The
other possibility is that most voters wouldn't know the difference
between Brad and Danny. Which is to say, the voters don't recognize the
names of two former employees in crucial positions, so we're allowing a
bunch of people to choose a board when they know so little about the
Wikimedia Foundation that they really have no business being allowed to
make such a decision.

Removing my tongue from my cheek and speaking in all seriousness now, I
think a waiting period between employment and board membership deserves
fair consideration. I fully agree with those who say that if we have
one, it must apply in both directions. However, I would suggest that
some of the people who have the most to offer as board members would
bring similar value as employees or in other positions (notice the
connection between chapter leadership and board membership - should this
have a waiting period too?). Rather than forgo their help, which I think
is unwise, I believe any waiting period should be kept as short as we
can possibly bear while still respecting the concerns behind it. Six
months seems quite sufficient to me.

--Michael Snow