[Foundation-l] Design goals for the election and board selection process

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Jul 16 17:52:06 UTC 2007

On Jul 15, 2007, at 2:24 PM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
> Should be noted that even barring the extreme of tokenization there
> is no need to even strive for perfect "representativeness", diversity
> is well good enough. In this as most things, the perfect is an enemy
> of the good. We cannot hope for the board to represent equally
> tiny trial projects and the established mega-projects in our midst,
> nor ancient dead languages on a par with english; that way lies
> madness.

Agreed, and we also do not want board members to think of themselves
as "representative of Europe" or "representative of Asia" or
"representative of Wiktionary" whose job it is to fight for resources
on behalf of that group or project.  Rather, all board members should
try to be globally inclined in every way as much as possible.