[Foundation-l] donation header on all sites: who is responsible and where is it announced?

habj sweetadelaide at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 23:19:23 UTC 2007

2007/7/14, THURNER rupert <rupert.thurner at wikimedia.ch>:

> hi,
>
> who would be responsible
> * for putting the "your continued donations ..." header on all the
> websites

I think you refer to replacing the version of the sitenotice that is visible
for non-logged in users, or possibly all users? with a default message. If
the wiki in question have a message of their own in the default will not
show; you can take a local decision on the wiki to override it. Who decides
to put this default message there that shows if you don't write anything in
your local file, I don't know.

* the announcment before it happens

Good question. Is an announcement considered important?

* for http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Deductibility_of_donations which
> seems
>   not alphabetically ordered outdated?

That page was put together before, or rather during, the last fundraiser
which actually was slightly chaotic. If there are mistakes or outdated
things, I am not surprised. The various languages have chosen different
solutions as to if the messages regarding all countries should be in the
language of the wiki website, or in the language spoken in that country. One
can also question the order of the countries mentioned, as you do.

Since you post from .ch, I guess you are mainly concerned about the Chinese
version. From most languages (I hope) there is someone who can edit
foundationwiki; edit rights there are not handed out so easily, due to
safety reasons. Checking page history, it seems the Chinese page in question
was mainly edited by User:Vipuser.
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Vipuser Hopefully you can find
him/her on a Chinese language project and talk to him/her. If the
translation contains silly errors, please be kind! and remember that these
pages were translated in a hurry.

Is there another, general way to find if someone who speaks a specific
language can edit foundationwiki?

Also, to what extent will these fundraiser pages be re-used? To what extent
_are_ they reused?

Rupert's email makes me guess they are used in the "sitenotice" for
non-logged in users. If they are and will be used, then it might be worth
while to put some effort into improving what's there. Some of us left some
of the pages untranslated, and other pages could use some improvement
(remember, this was done in great hurry). Suggestions on how to handle the
pages on tax deducibility (sp?) regarding languages/countries (text about
France in French, or it all in the target language?) would be neat, too.
Personally, I think it makes more sense to translate it all into the target
language. I could have been an American finding these pages when browsing
huwiki, and if I find then on huwiki then I probably expect to find the
information in Hungarian. If I prefer to read the text in some other
language, then I am probably able to find the language I want in the
language links on top of the page.

/HB