[Foundation-l] Notice of the results of the WMF Board of Trustees election

Arne Klempert klempert at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 13:17:29 UTC 2007

On 7/15/07, Alison Wheeler <wikimedia at alisonwheeler.com> wrote:
> On Sat, July 14, 2007 19:11, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
> > I'll go further than that. The chapters being active in the election
> > of board of trustees would in no way or shape of form create
> > legal liability for edits on the wikies run by the Foundation, any
> > more than a citizens action group promoting interest in some
> > national election would by this action assume legal liability for
> > passing the laws written by the governing body to which the
> > representatives were elected. I am sure you are the only one
> > reading this to whom this needs to be explained.
>
> Here I must again disagree. Speaking for a moment as the Chair of the UK
> Chapter, I would be *very* wary of our having a voice/vote in the
> selection of the Board of the Foundation because, imho, it *would* create
> a legal connection between us.

There are already many legal connections between Chapters (A) and
Foundation (B). But: A and B having legal connections isn't the same
as A being responsible for something B does or vice versa.

I really can't see any legal problem here. Of course IANAL, but I do
have some experience regarding this question, through WM-DE's
involvement in different law suits regarding Wikipedia content.

Cheers,
Arne