[Foundation-l] Design goals for the election and board selection process

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat Jul 14 18:19:34 UTC 2007

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> 4. Responsiveness - that the board listens to the community
>
> 5. Independence - that the board has the moral authority to make
> unpopular decisions at times, so that the board does not end up being
> too beholden to internal politics of the moment and can feel the
> strength to stick to principles even in cases where those principles
> might not be so popular
>
> (Yes, 4 and 5 are in tension and therefore have to be balanced.)

These relate, I think, to the question of what exactly the community
*is*.  The core group of the community are probably people who: 1) are
committed to Wikimedia's core goals (though they may disagree on some
matters); and 2) spend significant time and effort working towards those
goals.  But that's a pretty abstract definition, and you can't make
voting eligibility based on that too easily.  Our current approximation
is "people who've edited a Wikimedia project at least a little bit", but
that isn't really the same thing.  As our projects get more and more
popular, an increasing percentage of the total internet population will
be eligible to vote under current rules, and "anyone who's ever edited
Wikipedia" will start to look less and less like any sort of community.
It'd also make us susceptible to outside advertising campaigns, as
someone wanting to influence the Foundation would just need to rally
some otherwise inactive account-holders to rediscover their accounts and
vote.

Some of this can be tackled using human judgment by the Foundation being
"responsive" in ways other than through voting. If the Board members are
themselves longstanding Wikimedians, then presumably they have some idea
of what the community is and how to listen to it, and so can keep an eye
on what it thinks without solving all the tricky problems of voting and
voter eligibility.

That doesn't really solve the question of how to get people on the board
in the first place, of course, which I'll pass on for now.

-Mark