[Foundation-l] Notice of the results of the WMF Board of Trustees election

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 17:41:10 UTC 2007

Hoi,
While you have your periods, consider, when a chapter, which is a legal
entity, indicates its involvement with WMF projects, it creates legal
responsibility for the projects and as a result people, organisations can
sue it. This is not a good idea.

A chapter is an organisation that promotes activities for the people
involved and interested in WMF projects. It also does promote the ideals of
the WMF. But it does not involve itself in the projects themselves. It does
not assume or accept any legal responsibility for whatever happens in WMF
projects.

Given your use of a centipede, shooting in your foot is only painful when
you have a thousand. When you are human and you have only two feet, shooting
in your foot is a bad idea. Not only should a chapter not involve itself in
the running of projects, many chapters cannot even claim that a partiucular
language can be equated with the country, region a chapter is involved in.
In my opinion it is a truly brain dead idea for a chapter to involve itself
officially with WMF projects. If at all it is either the WMF itself or
particular editors that can be considered responsible for what happens on a
WMF project.

Thanks,
      GerardM