[Foundation-l] Notice of the results of the WMF Board of Trustees election

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jul 13 21:46:51 UTC 2007

Andre Engels wrote:

>2007/7/13, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>:
>

>>    There were 15540 votes on 4170 ballots; that's an average of 3.73
>>votes per ballot.  This suggests to me that contrary to what Erik has
>>suggested this still retains the deficiencies of strategic voting.  If
>>possible it would be interesting to see how the ballots were distributed
>>on a number of votes per ballot basis.
>>

>It depends - what do you call the 'deficiencies' of strategic voting?

It was Erik's term.  I'm not sure what he meant by it.  But I do
apologize for not putting the term in quotation marks.

>In my opinion, if (and that's a big if) this vote number is caused by
>people making what they consider to be strategically the best choice,
>then having few votes per ballot means that the voters apparently
>trust each other quite well. It means voters find it more likely that
>there's a close call between their favorites and the ones they like
>well, but not the best than one between people they like well and
>those they like not so well. Alternatively speaking, voters (IF their
>vote was strategic) trusted that their votes would not be needed to
>keep the bad candidates out of the board, and instead used them to try
>to get the best ones in rather than the good ones.

It's hard to generalize about the thought process that people wen
through when they were voting.  Your last point seems to be the closest
to reality though.  If I find only three candidates that meet my
personal criteria, why should I vote for more?  Any votes cast for a
fourth candidate could endanger one of my favorites.  Given the
closeness between our 3rd and 6th places that segment could have been
very different in a first-past-the-post system.

Ec