[Foundation-l] The average voter and voting systems (was Re: Notice of the results of the WMF Board of Trustees election)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jul 13 18:31:47 UTC 2007

Stephen Bain wrote:

> It's easier if you make preferences optional (ie, if people don't have
>
>to number all the way to the end of the list). That can result in more
>exhausted votes than otherwise, but it's a worthwhile tradeoff I
>think.

With a larger number of candidates it's easy to choose a few whom one
really likes, and perhaps even rank them.  One could probably also do
that with the ones that are really dislikes.  Sorting out the muddy
middle can be a tremendous challenge.

>I don't know if STV is that hard to explain anyway, at least, if you
>give a simplified explanation: first you number all the candidates in
>order of preference (1 being your first preference). If your #1
>preference doesn't win, your vote goes to your #2 preference, and so
>on.

It's relatively easy when you are choosing only one winner from a list.
When you need to elect more some mind-boggling complications can arise.

Ec