[Foundation-l] Notice of the results of the WMF Board of Trustees election

Peter Halasz email at pengo.org
Fri Jul 13 02:02:39 UTC 2007

I assume this has already been discussed before, but rather than
tweaking the system we're currently using ("approval voting"), why not
use a different voting system in future that doesn't have these
problems. Namely using preferential voting (i.e. ordering your votes,
for instant runoff)? Then voters have to think less about the strategy
needed to express their preferences.

Quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approval_voting
As approval voting does not offer a single method of expressing
sincere preferences, but rather a plethora of them, voters are
encouraged to analyze their fellow voters' preferences and use that
information to decide which candidates to vote for.

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting

Peter Halasz
(user:Pengo)

Also, am I the only one who thinks that 4000 ballots is not a bad turnout?