[Foundation-l] Notice of the results of the WMF Board of Trustees election

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jul 13 00:51:04 UTC 2007

Brianna Laugher wrote:

>On 13/07/07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>And note also that 3rd to 6th places were very close indeed.
>>

>Less than 50 votes in it!
>
>Imagine if! 50 votes is just a decent wikiproject's worth of participants.
>
>I hope for future elections WMF (*not* the election committee) will
>take more concrete action for its responsibility to inform eligible
>voters.

I wouldn't blame either the WMF or the election committee for this.  We
aren't running a kindergarten.  If eligible voters can't be bothered to
look when an election is advertised in all reasonable places, they get
the result they deserve.

Democratic institutions are not about the responsibilities of the ruling
structure, but about the responsibilities of the citizenry.  Do
countries which make voting obligatory get any better results?

Ec