[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Pennsylvania

Robert Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Thu Jul 12 16:38:23 UTC 2007

Anthony wrote:

> Well, as I said before, you don't need to incorporate in order to be a
> tax-exempt organization.  And while I don't know PA state tax law
> offhand I'm not sure it's worth going through the WMF just so you can
> get a sales tax exemption on a few pizzas every week.  Is the WMF even
> registered with the state of Pennsylvania?  If not the paperwork would
> probably be just as bad.

It is not just for a bunch of pizzas here, and there are some legal
liabilities that simply put are something that one individual simply
should not have to bear the brunt of dealing with directly.  Aka the
"chair" of any such group taking full legal liability for the actions of
the group.

We are talking organizing fund raisers, local college chapters,
distributing Wikimedia content in various formats, and more.  If it was
just for buying a pizza once a month, I would have to agree it wouldn't
be worth the effort here, but you are missing the potential of what a
group like this could offer for the WMF as well.
>> if we can put together a way to simplify this process and
>> allow interested groups of Wikimedia users in the USA to put together a
>> small group of like minded people that can support Wikimedia projects on
>> a local level.
>>
>> If the WMF doesn't want to get directly involved in this game, I can
>> understand, but that would mean this process of formal incorporation as
>> a non-profit group may have to happen for the Pennsylvania group, and
>> may have to be dealt with for other groups in the USA as well to become
>> completely different entities independent of the WMF.  This seems like a
>> waste of resources and effort, and especially money that could be better
>> spent on Wikimedia projects directly than to deal with legal and
>> accounting costs.  Requiring any local Wikimedia chapters to seek formal
>> incorporation is also going to slow the progress of any new group
>> significantly, and raise the bar of talent required to put together any
>> such group to the point that many potential groups like this will never
>> be started at all.  I'm not convinced that there is a need to formally
>> incorporate a Wikimedia San Francisco and Wikimedia Pennsylvania as
>> seperate entities.
>>

> I agree with this, to the extent that I'm not convinced that there's a
> need to formally incorporate anything at all at this point.

As a businessman who is currently a sole propritor (I am looking at
getting that changed), you are largely correct that you don't need to
explicitly incorporate.  I'll leave the subtle points about the positive
and negative aspects of formal incorporation to somebody else.  If you
are the one in charge of the group and something goes wrong, without
some legal mechanism in place it becomes a nightmare of nearly
unimaginable proportions.

One of my chilling experiences along this line was my involvement with a
science fiction fan club (it was actually a college campus
organization), where this club was a co-sponsor of a Science Fiction
convention. I wasn't the head officer at the time (thank goodness!) but
here is where it went bad:

The convention was organized and a hotel convention facility with
several rooms was booked.  Speakers were invited (and showed up)
together with a small vendor area and the other usual items you find at
a typical SF Con (if you've been to them, you know what I'm talking
about!)  The problem about this whole thing was that nobody was
explicitly "in charge" other than a loosely organized committee that
talked to each other to put the various aspects of the convention
together.  Something akin to how most Wikimedia web projects are
organized, BTW, if you want a comparison.  No incorporated entity was
really running the show, but there was a show "organizer" who was given
the stripes to say he was "in charge" of everything.

After the convention was over, somehow the money collected for entrance
fees disappeared and a bill from the hotel came his way for several
thousand dollars.  The show "organizer" (who was just a volunteer
himself) was stuck with the bill and ended up having to take out a
mortgage on his home to help pay the bill.  Needless to say, that
experience was not subsequently repeated the following year.

I've also been involved with Boy Scouting, church groups, and even just
loosly organized groups of individuals out to have some fun.  From this
extensive experience, I will say that having an incorporated body that
will take responsibility for (and establish policies governing
activities of) the actions of a group like this is a huge relief to
anybody willing to stick their neck out and act as a leader over the group.

Frankly, I would be wary of even hosting a meet-up at a restaurant (like
even McDonald's) if this was something that the "general public" was
invited to without at least some sort of protection like formal
incorporation taking place first.  It is a slightly different story if
you are making offers to a bunch of close friends that you have already
established personal relationships with, but they are also not going to
do something stupid (usually) that may involve police intervention.
That has happened to me in the past with these sort of information
groups when stuff simply gets out of hand.

--  Robert Horning