[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Pennsylvania

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 05:19:35 UTC 2007

On 7/11/07, Robert Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> Daniel Mayer wrote:
> >
> > The WMF is not a membership organization and it will not nor should not be directly involved in
> > organizing activities that would tend to make it a publisher of content. Therefore, organizing
> > local activities aimed at generating content for the projects is such a thing that the WMF should
> > not be in the business of. Certifying the identity of a person who has been approved of by the
> > Wikinews community to be accredited is also something the foundation should not be involved in.
> > The foundation has certain ISP protections that would be jeopardized if it did.

Fine points.  We should work towards better national community
organization, and also more local organizations, whatever their legal
standing or the caliber of their red tape.  I think the legalities are
of secondary importance -- though some are fodder for research papers.
 Clean organization and inspiring projects will make a difference
under any name.

SJ