[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Pennsylvania

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 12 00:15:51 UTC 2007

No matter what we decide to do, we are going to endlessly second-guess
ourselves, and there are going to be people complaining about every
decision. Having a pennsylvania chapter is, in my eyes, a good compromise
between people who want to have chapters based on metropolitan areas, and
people who want to think bigger like a regional ("Mid-Atlantic") or even a
USA national chapter.

The fact is that we have put plenty of time and effort into this plan, and
we are going to be sticking to our plan of a state-based at this point, come
hell or high water. The people who are actually doing the planning work on
this are all interested in a state chapter, and we have the blessing of the
chapcom too.

If other USA-local chapters want to organize themselves along different
boundaries, that's fine and dandy. I don't think necessarily that our first
experiment in making a USA-local chapter should become the definite standard
for all possible future chapters. That in mind, the chapter that we create
will certainly not be immutable, and we can alter it as necessary.

The important part in all this is the organization of members into a
powerful outreach group. In person, as a team, we will be able to attract
readers, writers, and (most importantly) cash donors in much higher
quantities then we can possibly do in a disorganized fasion. More important
then thinking about the exact geographical location of the chapter is to
start planning what we will be doing, and how we will be doing that.
Compared to this, whether we are "pennsylvania", or "philadelphia", or
whatever is irrelevant.

We're moving ahead with the pennsylvania chapter as is. Hopefully, our
actions and our successes will lay all concerns to rest.

--Andrew Whitworth