[Foundation-l] Travel policy

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jul 11 23:23:54 UTC 2007

Delirium wrote:

>Ray Saintonge wrote:
>

>>We are not other boards. Our scope is not limited to a city, state, or
>>even national level.  No-one is suggesting compensation for lost work
>>time.  Some volunteers do have extraordinary expenses that need to be
>>compensated in exchange for accepting greater responsibilities.
>>

>True, but this applies to people other than Wikimedia Foundation
>Officers.  For example, several Wikipedians have incurred considerable
>personal expense traveling to archives, purchasing research materials
>and access, etc., in order to improve our articles, and AFAIK there's
>been no proposal to reimburse them.

Why should there be?  Hopefully at least the archives that these people
visit, or the materials that they purchase relate to topics of interest
to them.  If WMF were the one paying for all that research material it
should acquire ownership to it, and also pay for its storage.  If the
leadership of WMF were to start assigning specific research projects to
people the conditions could be different, but I don't see that
happening.anytime soon.

Currently, I travel to Wikimania annually, I buy huge amounts of
reference material, and I maintain four wiki domain names.  That's the
normal cost of participating.

Ec