[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Pennsylvania

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 22:50:10 UTC 2007

On 10/07/07, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just as a reality check, we are currently thinking of registering
> the Finland chapter as encompassing and operating in three
> languages, Finnish, Swedish and Saami (indigenous language
> of Lapland). I don't have any deep misgivings about this at all,
> the fundamental thing is we are all wikipedians, and do wikipedian
> things. And I *do* hope there will be no problem with taking Saami
> on board. Currently we are in the very early stages of planning
> starting the chapter, and I am not currently even aware if the
> people editing Saami Wikipedia know we are thinking of inviting
> them into our chapter :-)

WMUK does stuff in English, but we'd love someone from cy:wp (Cymraeg
= Welsh) involved - the other official language used in the UK. It's a
good line to use with the media - "Any listeners who speak Welsh
should have a look at the Welsh Wikipedia, it's just starting out
compared to the English one ... see what a Wikipedia looks like in its
early days."

(Other UK native languages in use include Irish Gaelic, Scots Gaelic,
Manx, Scots and Cornish. Then there are any number of non-native
languages that are widely spoken in the UK, and there's no reason WMUK
wouldn't be interested in UK topics in those languages.)

So I suggest you find some Saami speakers and get them involved ASAP!

- d.