[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Pennsylvania

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 21:54:18 UTC 2007

On 7/11/07, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> When Americans speak English, it may be different but it is English. When
> the Italians speak, they do not necessarily speak Italian. Italian was
> created at the unification of Italy, the culture, the cooking is different
> along similar lines, the history goes back centuries and it is a living
> history. I know that there are big differences culturally in the USA and
> that is something to be cherished.
>
> My point is that it does not make sense to have all the overhead of all the
> different chapters when there is no legal or fiscal need.

I'm going to be blunt here. I only do this because we've met in person
Gerard, and I know you'll take this as "friendly." :)

Please consider the experience of the people who speak with intimate
cultural, organizational and legal knowledge of the specifics of US
organizations. You have multiple folks that have related first-hand
knowledge with nonproifts, being board members, and forming membership
organizations.

Your views are welcome, but at some point you will have to yield to
the collective voices of denizens who will be involved with it
locally, and who have done it before. Let's not turn this into a
completely off topic rant that will degenerate into, well, what other
unfortunate threads have degenerated into of late.

That's the beauty of local chapters right? A common overall vision,
but local knowledge, local intelligence and local norms.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)