[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Pennsylvania

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 21:08:38 UTC 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 4:54 PM, GerardM wrote:

> The United States is a vast country, culturally it is much more
> homogeneous
> than Italy is.

Homogeneous? I completely disagree. Southerners in the US have
different culture than Texans, who have different culture and
heritage from Virginians, who have different from bostonians,
different from new yorkers, different from general northeasterners,
different from midwest, etc.... that's not even getting into north
california vs. so-cal vs. sanfrancisco vs. LA, vs. arizona etc.....

More practically towards chapters, schools in New York act completely
differently than schools in Florida or Texas, and both are different
than those in Utah. Chapters would need to take widely different
approaches to working with schools in those areas. Similarly,
internet and broadband penetration is significantly variant amongst
different parts of the country, affecting ease of chapter operations.

Am I not understanding the meaning of the world? I thought
homogeneous means "more similar, more like one people", and
heterogeneous means more like "a mixup of peoples, not very
assimilated". (http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?
date=19980305) Certainly homogeneous would not describe the US.

-Dan