[Foundation-l] Travel policy

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 18:46:37 UTC 2007

Hoi,
When WikiPedians incur personal expenses in order to do what they love to
do, it does improve the project they work on. Work they volunteer to do.
When the Wikimedia Foundation is to function, it cannot be seen as a hobby,
it secures all our projects. When the projects find it in themselves to find
funding to travel to archives, purchase research materials and access etc,
the projects can consider how these costs can be reimbursed.

Having said that, I am sure that the same vocal group of people, who
consider that content generated by paid for editors is noxious, will argue
that this will destroy our NPOV and what not. While I would welcome targeted
funding for our projects, it is unlikely to happen, I also think that your
argument compares apples to oranges. We do fund our organisation, we do not
fund out projects. We apply professional standards to our organisation, our
projects are run by amateurs.

NB A professional is someone who is paid for the work he/she does.

Thanks,
    GerardM