[Foundation-l] WMF-projects: Carbon neutral/low/aware website?

Peter Halasz email at pengo.org
Tue Jul 10 03:08:38 UTC 2007

You frame the situation in an odd way. As going carbon neutral is
somewhat altruistic, it would take a fairly superficial or image
conscience organisation to seek direct benefit. Let's frame it a
different way. If you were a board member of a chemical plant that
dumped heavy metals into the local creek you could also be asked
"what's in it for us to not do this? Why should we stop polluting?
Just to feel good?"

Well we are dumping chemicals: greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.
So do we walk away from the mess we've made? We need to act
responsibly and reduce our emissions. The cost of electricity does not
factor in its environmental impact and we need to consider that. It's
part of the WMF's triple bottom line.

As discussed, to begin with we can ask donors if it's ok to use part
of their contributions to offset our emissions.

Peter Halasz
[[user:pengo]]