[Foundation-l] Travel policy

Jeandré du Toit jackdt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 21:12:04 UTC 2007

> > On the other hand, I believe that the foundation would be better served
> > by drawing its board from individuals who have already achieved
> > sufficient financial independence that they need not look to the
> > foundation as a source of financial support.
> > Steve
>
> I really disagree with this. With this kind of reasoning, and in
> addition to what others already said, this will insure that there will
> never be any board member from Africa, South-America or South-Asia.
> There is no better way to keep only Europeans and Americans as board
> members that requiring that they "have already achieved sufficient
> financial independence". This is plain discrimination to me.
>
> I don't mean that board members should get any financial benefit, but
> they should not have to bear expenses because they are board members.
> Yann

There are millions of financially independent Africans, South
Americans, and South Asians - even some billionaires:
<http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/10/07billionaires_The-Worlds-Billionaires_CountryOfCitizen_4.html>.
I agree however that the board should not be limited to Muff and uncle
Biff.
--
User:Jeandré du Toit